Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bicycles, Temples and Crocodiles

I was invited to participate in a bicycle ride organized by Laserwords' parent company, Murugappa. I left the hotel at 4:45 AM for this 42 kilometer ride. I was loaned a bicycle and helmet, and we began our ride before sunrise to beat the heat and the traffic. This was an amazing experience! We navigated through traffic, including cows, dogs and goats, and finished the ride at a beach resort about two hours later. This was a great opportunity to experience the city, countryside, and culture. I am grateful to Vellayan and Kandappa for allowing me to participate, loaning me the equipment, and riding with me.
  
Kandappa and I after our ride.
The beach at the resort (see the temple in the background)

E. Mae, Jayashree, and Michael O'Brien met us at the resort, and after breakfast we set off to tour an ancient temple near by.

Shore Temple, built around 720 AD
After visiting the temple, we drove through an area with lots of beautiful, intricate, large-scale relief carvings on the boulders of the hillsides.


Next, we visited the Madras Crocodile Bank, a small zoo with crocodiles from all around the world.


We stopped for lunch at a local resort before beginning our journey back to the city.


Jayshree at the Fisherman's Cove Resort
Tomorrow we will visit Pondicherry, an historic French settlement southwest of Chennai, built about 300 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment